subdirs.el weirdness

Hi everyone,

I noticed some strange behavior on my machine (Debian/unstable) with the
newest FSF Emacs 21 package:

After installing (and re-installing) emacs21_21.2-1_i386.deb there is no
/usr/share/emacs21/site-lisp/subdirs.el even tho it's in the .deb.
There was no error message or warning during installation.

[Don't confuse this with /usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/subdirs.el.  That's
there.  Also Bug #124221 seems related but doesn't cover this problem.]

Since I'm rather new to Debian I might miss something obvious.  If so,
please tell me, otherwise I'll file a bug report.  Of course, it would
be much better if somebody could help me pinpoint the problem.

Related to this:  What is the policy on loading subdirectories (ie
handling of load-path)?  Many emacs extensions, including sml-mode and
now (after I reported this as a bug) also tuareg-mode, add their
subdirectories `manually' to the load-path.  Assuming subdirs.el works
this should be unnecessary.

Just trying to clear things up,
Chris

--
Chris Stork (PhD student at UC Irvine)  http://www.ics.uci.edu/~cstork/
OpenPGP fingerprint: B08B 602C C806 C492 D069  021E 41F3 8C8D 50F9 CA2F