Re: It's Huntin' Season

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 08:56:23PM -0600, Adam Heath wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> > > A lot of maintainers don't mark the files there as confiles because they
> > > don't expect them to be edited.  If you want a second startup.d
> > > directory outside of /etc for this purpose, change Emacs policy and
> > > patch the added started code in all Emacsen.  Then we can move our code
> > > out.
> >
> > Files in /etc are to be marked conffiles.  Period.  End of story.  Have a nice
> > day.
>
> Or (XOR) preserved across upgrades by maintainer scripts, of course.

Yes, correct.  I should have said that files in /etc are edittable config
files.  This means either using dpkg's conffile mechanism, or, easily broken
maintainer script versions.

I prefer the former.

In any event, if emacs policy says the files go in /etc, then they must be
edittable, as this is what Debian Policy stipulates.  This means user edits
must be preserved.