error displaying html in gnus/w3

Hi,

I'm currently getting an error when viewing HTML email in Gnus.  For a
typical email, the *Messages* buffer displays

Parsed  20% of 3006...
Parsed  42% of 3006...
Parsed  65% of 3006...
Parsed  84% of 3006...
Parsed 100% of 3006...done
Drawing... /
Error while rendering html; showing as text/plain

and then more often than not there's no text/plain part of the email so
I have to read the raw email from the nnml file.  (setq debug-on-error
t) provides no additional info, so I assume the HTML rendering is being
wrapped in a condition-case, and I haven't had time to step-debug this
yet.

Running unstable, relevant packages are

ii  emacs21        21.1-7         The GNU Emacs editor.
ii  emacs21-el     21.1-7         GNU Emacs LISP (.el) files.
ii  emacsen-common 1.4.13         Common facilities for all emacsen.
ii  gnus           5.8.8-4        A versatile News and mailing list reader for
ii  w3-el-e21      4.0pre.2001.10 Web browser for GNU Emacs 21
ii  w3-el-lisp     4.0pre.46-11   Elisp source for w3-el web browser
ii  w3-url-e21     2001.11.08-2   URL library for use by w3-el-e21

A quick workaround for at least displaying the HTML in the *Article*
buffer would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex