Re: How to use left mouse for Xaw3d scoll bar?

Johan Walles <d92-jwa@nada.kth.se> writes:

> PS: I'm under the impression that Emacs has support for Motif, but not
> for GTK+.  Is that so?  In that case, anybody but me find this weird?

That's so.  Bill Perry developed Gtk-XEmacs which has been folded in
to XEmacs proper but is still considered experimental.  I've heard
that it's available (perhaps in unstable?) for Debian as
xemacs-gnome.  There was some discussion on emacs-devel about GTK
support in GNU Emacs, but I don't think it's a priority.

The weirdness is historical.  The GNU project decided to use X11 as
their window system, but didn't standardise on a toolkit.  Lesstif
progressed slowly (it's pretty good now).  GTK is weird because it
transcends X toolkitiness; I think the idea is that a well-behaved
GTK program can run on a Windows or Macintosh machine with appropriate
libraries (under XEmacs built --with-gtk the variable window-system's
value is gtk, not x).

--
John Paul Wallington