Did something change, or is xemacs21 busted?

I noticed a misfeature in my very own octave2.1-emacsen. Recent (as in
2.1.34-5) installations do not build the .elc files. Older ones (as in
2.1.34-2) still do.  I haven't changed any code whatsoever in the postinst,
or emacen install script.

I just perused the debian-emacsen-policy, but am still at a loss. Emacsen
Policy talks about startup.el -- I only have startup.elc. Could that be an
issue?

I use

homebud:/tmp/r-base-1.3.0 [root] # dpkg -l | grep xemacs
ii  xemacs21       21.4.1-2       Editor and kitchen sink
ii  xemacs21-bases 2001.07.09-1   Editor and kitchen sink -- compiled elisp su
ii  xemacs21-bin   21.4.1-2       Editor and kitchen sink -- support binaries
ii  xemacs21-nomul 21.4.1-2       Editor and kitchen sink -- Non-mule binary
ii  xemacs21-suppo 21.4.1-2       Editor and kitchen sink -- architecture inde

Any hints would be most gratefully accepted. I'm not a regular on this list,
so please do CC me.

Regards, Dirk

--
Our mailserver had a hardware failure while we were gone during the 2nd half
of July. If I did not respond to a mail you sent then, or if you experienced a