Re: google chromebooks and debian-edu

Hi Keld,

On  Mo 25 Jul 2022 13:53:31 CEST, keld wrote:

On Sun, Jul 24, 2022 at 07:21:01PM +0000, Mike Gabriel wrote:
Hi Keld,

On  So 24 Jul 2022 19:10:41 CEST, keld wrote:

>hi
>
>We have in Denmark had the Danish Data Protection Authority say that
>due to gdpr provisions,
>helsingør municipality may not use googles chromebooks in school.
>personal data is too likely to be disclosed to the US authorities. fisa
>702.
>it is said that something similar is the case for almost half of the
>Danish municipalities,
>which use chromebooks in their schools.

From the perspective of someone (i.e. me) who considers data
protection a high value: YESSSS!!! Very cool.

i think it is absolutely a necessity, given gdpr and fisa 702 and schrems ii verdicts,
so i am trying to establish solutions on how to do it,
given the situation for potientlly about half the danish communes, and many other communes
in other eu countries. the good thing is that these communes have budgets
fpr google and hw already.

so we need to have a solution that can match google chromebooks in functionality and versability,
maybe you or others could help?

Ok.

>I thought they could use skolelinux . debian-edu. is this a
>possibility? how can it be done technically?

Yes. As one can install Debian on Chromebooks, Debian Edu can be
deployed, as well.

>can you use hardware and infrastructure? are there the same
>educational systems or the like?

There are well-proven educational concepts for running FLOSS at
schools, such as Debian Edu. I recommend contacting schools that have
successfully deployed their IT infrastructure based on Open Source
products. If needed, I can get municipality decision makers in touch
with people in Germany who are working on this and already have
successful concepts.

yes, that would be helpful.

Please ping me off list for information. However, here, it is also vacation time.

>what about operation? in denmark you have 'state it' which operates
>cloud solutions.
>is that something you can recommend, or should the municipalities or
>others do it?

Normally, municipalities don't have the expertise to run professional
school solutions based on Open Source. Some might have, but I'd assume
that most don't. Using a Danish cloud provider that provides
sufficient data protection along the GDPR regulations can be a good
idea, but they might lack Open Source expertise and thus fail to guide
consumers regarding the integration of e.g. Debian Edu driven
notebooks into their cloud solution.

so something like the 'state it', or another national provider could do the job. there is a danish association, os2, open source, open soloutions, which has many communes as members, which may help. but it is holiday season now, an a solution is urgently needed as the school year is beginning soon. they have some floss expertise, but i dont know how good they are on debian edu.
my knowledge is also poor in these areas

I don't think that you can provide a large scale solution within the summer holidays. But we can come up with some strategies and quick solutions if many hands will assist locally.

However, this definitely is going beyond scope of the Debian Edu
mailing list. If you need further advice or consulting, please get in
touch with Debian Edu professional supports (such as Dominik George or
me).

yes, let's get in touch. also need to team up with partners here.

Please ping me at mike.gabriel@freiesoftware.gmbh for this. I can make myself available this week, then I will be on vacation for two weeks, after that, discussions (and operations) can continue...

Mike
--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31