google chromebooks and debian-edu

hi

We have in Denmark had the Danish Data Protection Authority say that due to gdpr provisions,
helsingør municipality may not use googles chromebooks in school.
personal data is too likely to be disclosed to the US authorities. fisa 702.
it is said that something similar is the case for almost half of the Danish municipalities,
which use chromebooks in their schools.

I thought they could use skolelinux . debian-edu. is this a possibility? how can it be done technically?
can you use hardware and infrastructure? are there the same educational systems or the like?

what about operation? in denmark you have 'state it' which operates cloud solutions.
is that something you can recommend, or should the municipalities or others do it?

keld