Installation help request

I just installed EDU using firmware-edu-10.10.0-amd64-netinst.iso on a USB stick.

The installer is the traditional DI that I am accustomed to, but setup very differently.
It detected the network and all seemed fine...

I created a 30 GB root partition, 10 GB swap, and a 50 GB home.
I deselected the other swap partitions for the other OSs on that computer.

I did not install a boot loader by choice.
Installer complained as expected... I told it to continue
restarted and booted on my default Debian 10 Mate, then update GRUB.

First boot: I could not login as a user "wrong password".

anyway, I logged in as root.

the boot splash screen says it is fails to connect to the network
XFCE tools are alien to me, so that does not help.

How do I start?
Thanks