Re: [debian-edu-commits] [Git][debian-edu/debian-edu-config][master] Adjust sbin/debian-edu-pxeinstall

[ Wolfgang Schweer, 2021-02-11 ]
> [ Petter Reinholdtsen, 2021-02-11 ]
> > [Wolfgang Schweer]
> > > Commits:
> > > 4f57a203 by Wolfgang Schweer at 2021-02-10T23:09:23+01:00
> > > Adjust sbin/debian-edu-pxeinstall
> > >
> > > Copy the debian-installer directories (belonging to d-i-n-i packages) instead
> > > of symlinking them. This allows tftpd-hpa to access them.
> >
> > How will this affect upgrades?  When will the copied content be updated?
>
> I thought about adding something about the issue to the status page
> hints at point release days like I did for Buster related issues.

Also, this will be added to the manual (both Maintenance and Features
chapters):

After a point release upgrade of a system with 'Main Server' or 'LTSP
Server' profile, debian-edu-pxeinstall needs to be run to update the PXE
installation environment.

> > Symlinks were used to get access to upgraded d-i-n-i.
>
> Yes. I'm still looking for a way to teach tftpd-hpa to read the links.

I stopped doing so, reasons are:

Among a lot of other changes (DHCP, LTSP, iPXE, tools), the tftpd-hpa
configuration would need to be tweaked to disable the --secure option.

Also, now PXE installations are using graphical mode by default which
(as a feature) needs to re-generate the Initrd to replace the Debian
Installer logo with the Debian Edu one. So after a d-i-n-i upgrade,
debian-edu-pxeinstall would need to be run anyway. Besides that,
touching the Initrds belonging to the d-i-n-i packages would be a bad
idea. (I noticed all this while playing with locally generated d-i-n-i
packages for Bullseye.)

Wolfgang