Re: Debian wiki and DocBook output?

[I'm not subscribed, please CC me in reply]

On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 21:00 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:

> The Debian wiki team are wondering how essential the DocBook output of
> the Debian wiki is to DebianEdu. The version of MoinMoin in Debian
> squeeze needs python-xml, which was orphaned upstream and removed from
> Debian after lenny. More info is available at [1].
>
>      1. http://moinmo.in/MoinMoinBugs/DependencyOnOrphanedPythonXML

FYI the issues with DocBook and the Debian wiki have just been
resolved, so DocBook support is likely to keep working.

The details are in this bug in case you are interested:

https://bugs.debian.org/787583

> there are longer term plans afoot to look at switching to ikiwiki.

ikiwiki is no longer as popular as it once was, so this is less likely.

BTW, if you are shipping the DocBook output anywhere without shipping
the raw wiki files, then that may be a violation of DFSG item 2, at
minimum the ftp-master REJECT FAQ mentions that even documentation
needs to ship the source files. I encourage you to instead either
switch to Sphinx or ship the raw wiki text and then render the DocBook
and other outputs from that at build time.

https://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html

--
bye,
pabs