Re: [report] "gateway" installation for amd64 dual NIC machine using 2019-05-13 image.

Hi hoxp18,

a big thank you for the installation report.

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 08:44:11AM +0900, hoxp18 wrote:
> Installation media: netinst edu testing image 2019-05-13
>
> Modify BIOS boot priority on demand.
>
> 1. Installation
> ===============
>
> 0. Connected eth0: Internet side, DHCP via primary router.
> 1. Connected eth1: Debian Edu internal network side,
>                    connected to a L2 switch (without any other host.)
> 2. Started installation by "expert mode" in English

This is supposed to be a pitfall; you need to know quite a lot about the
Debian installer tasksel modification done by Debian Edu.

> 3. Almost default setting except locale/timezone/keymap.
> 4. Network detect: go
> 5. Configure network (Internet side): go (DHCP)
> 6. Profile "Minimal"
> 7. automatic partitioning
> 8. root user only; no normal user on this "gateway"
> 9. Detect disk: go
> 10. partition disk: go
> 11. Install base system: go
> 12. Kernel: "linux-image-amd64", targeted (only needed modules)
> 13. apt: n.p. only security updates
> 14. Select and install software: n.p.
> 15. Use "Automatic security update"
> 16. Software selection: "standard system utilities" only.

This actually *is* the pitfall. You need to select 'Debian Edu
common packages for networked systems' in addition.
This item will be preselected if you install in 'debian-edu-expert' mode
(kernel parameter), see
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Buster/Installation#Installing_Debian_Edu
but will be missing if you use the vanilla Debian 'expert' mode.

> 17. Build LTSP chroot: SKIP
> 18. Install GRUB: MBR, w/o EFI removable media path forcing.
> 19. Install Debian Edu Profile: LTSP chroot SKIPPED,
> 20. Finish installation: go
>
> 2. Configuration as a gateway, using the manual
>
> 0. Initial boot: go
> 1. Network status: NG, both eth0 and eth1 is not up.

I was able to reproduce this failure with 'standard system utilities'
as only selection, i.e. decided to keep sitting in the pit.

> Summary
> =======
>
> * Forcing old style NIC names on gateway has problem.

-> pitfall; should not happen if vanilla Debian Edu installation
   methods are used (tested again).

> * Editing /etc/network/interfaces by new style NIC names works.

Sure, you have a vanilla Debian installation

Thanks again for your very detailed report, much appreciated.

Maybe some caveat should be added to the manual concerning the pitfall?

Wolfgang