Re: Can not log on workstation installed from PXE - issues with mounting /skole/tjener/home0

Hi Xavier,

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 08:14:21AM +0100, TELLIER Xavier wrote:
> I am in the process of evaluating the implementation of DebianEDU
> within a small primary school in France to replace the existing
> obsolete Linux based solution I installed some years ago.

Thanks for trying Debian Edu and for your detailed report.

> Next par of the tests was the installation of a workstation which lead
> to the following issue :
>   - A DebianEDU Stretch workstation has been installed through PXE from
>     a new installed/configured DebianEDU server (version 9.8).
>   - Installation went fine w/o reported errors.
>   - This new workstation has been declared in LDAP with :
>     sitesummary2ldapdhcp -a -i ether-08:00:27:53:dd:76 -t workstations
>   - Configuration has been finalised by adding wokstation-hosts,
>     shutdown-at-mignight-hosts, fsautoresize-hosts wihtin NIS Netgroup.

Good, the steps are just like they should be.

>   - Logging into the workstation via LDM with for any user declared in
>     GOsa2 fails : LDM greeter disappear for a short period and reappear
>   - Logging via one of the console (F1, F2, ...) is granted but warning
>     appear : 'No directory, logging with HOME=/'

I don't have a Stretch test environment at hand. This same problem
showed up for Jessie. It had been a problem with nscd (name service
cache daemon) back then which should have gone away for Stretch.

Anyway, please run 'nscd -i netgroup' on the main server to invalidate
the related cache and see if it helps.

As a last resort you could disable netgroup caching completely running
'debian-edu-nscd-netgroup-cache disable' on the main server. (This
workaround for Jessie should not be needed for Stretch; netgroup caching
can be enabled again running 'debian-edu-nscd-netgroup-cache enable'.)

----

You could also try Debian Edu Buster. It would allow you to set up a
system tailored for a primary school (install the meta-package
'education-primaryschool' after a basic install). For details see:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Status/Buster
and
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Buster/Installation#Modular_installation

Wolfgang