Re: [debian-edu-commits] [Debian Wiki] Update of "DebianEdu/Status/Buster" by DominikGeorge

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 01:20:22PM +0100, Wolfgang Schweer wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2018 at 10:39:33PM -0000, Debian Wiki wrote:
> > The "DebianEdu/Status/Buster" page has been changed by DominikGeorge:
>
> > + * Xfce is missing a volume control by default
>
> Thanks for reporting the issue; it's not reproducible for me.

That's strange… Actually, the issue also happens when installing Debian
buster mainline with the Xfce desktop. Sound works, and the PulseAudio
applet can be added manually and it works as well, but it is not added
to the panel by default. I also talked to Xfce upstream and they confirm
it is not added to the panel in the default config.

Thus, I do wonder what you did to make Xfce add volume controls by
default? Or: Pics or it didn't happen ;)…

In any case, we should make sure not to ship a default desktop with such
a basic feature missing by default. We could either get the Xfce
maintainers to add a default panel config that has it, or ship our own
Xfce panel config (possibly with some more tweaks).

> It might
> happen, though, if the not-yet-ready USB ISO image has been used for
> installation. Various packages otherwise pulled in via
> dependency/recommendation chains will be missing in that case.

The netinstall image was used in all cases.

> > and mounting devices (USB stivks) does not work
>
> Could you please add details (e.g. system used when trying it:
> main-server, workstation, diskless workstation, thin client?).

Diskless workstation (with NBD root).

> Wolfgang

-nik

--
Dominik George (1. Vorstandsvorsitzender, pädagogischer Leiter)
Teckids e.V. — Digitale Freiheit mit Jugend und Bildung