Re: Automatic testing: openqa.debian.net

resend after fixing the debian-edu mailing list address…

Hi Phil,

(dropping debian-boot@ and adding debian-edu@l.d.o to the recipients,
and leaving context for the latter...)

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 01:35:41PM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> If you look here:
>   https://openqa.debian.net/
>
> You'll see that I've been testing d-i daily images for a while.
>
> The scripts that drive those tests are available here:
>   https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/openqa-tests-debian.git/

very cool. (how) can I subscribe to commit notifications for this repo?

> As you can see from the README.md this is based on Fedora's tests.  The
> README helpfully points at the original documentation for os-autoinst,
> which is the thing that does the work.
>
> It's possible that the README says things work that I've since broken in
> order to make it work for the Debian tests.  Please point that out to me
> if you notice, and I'll either fix things, or fix the README, as
> appropriate.
>
> So far I've been focused on testing d-i up to the point where we can see
> that it's possible to login, and see whatever should be expected for
> each of our desktops.

I see you also seem to have tests for Debian Edu!
(at http://openqa.debian.net/group_overview/6 )

> There is no reason to limit ourselves to that, and since we're
> generating newly installed VM images regularly, it's completely fine to
> write tests that use those as a starting point.  It's also possible to
> write tests that use ssh or the serial console, so that yo don't need to
> hunt for things in screenshots.
>
> Currently it's all running in one VM (with nested VMs), but the
> os-autoinst is able to run additional workers, so we should be able to
> scale up as required.
>
> At some point I'll want to reinstall everything, when all the bits are
> available as packages (which might be already true -- I'll check shortly).
>
> BTW In order to log in, you'll currently need an OpenSUSE SSO account
> (because that works out of the box, and I've no idea what needs to be
> done to make things work with sso.debian.org, say -- all hints
> gratefully accepted :-) )
>
> There's lots of things left to do here, with the most important thing
> probably being making it possible to add tests without needing root
> access to the machine (which is currently needed for some bits) so
> please pester me about what you would like to test, and that will force
> me to make it possible for you to do it without my intervention
> (eventually ;-) ).

I'd like it to get into a state ASAP so that we can turn of the
"g-i-installation" tests on jenkins.debian.net - how can I help with
that?

If i look at the job group "Debian" I cannot (yet?) clearly see which
Debian images are tested how?

I suppose it would be good to setup tests for stable and
testing/unstable, and use the former to tests the tests and the latter
to test Debian... :) (and both combined to test+develop the UI)

--
cheers,
	Holger