Re: Use of Kerberos in Debian Edu

[Dominik George]
> Sure. I know it is used - but user login is nothing that specifically
> *needs* Kerberos in Debian Edu - it would be a matter of switching to
> libpam-ldap instead. This isn't as good as Kerberos, sure - but it is no
> point that makes any Debian Edu install *need* Kerberos.

I suspect you are right.  I have vague memories of CUPS and Samba
working better with Kerberos than without, but nothing vital.  Note, the
libpam-ldapd package is probably a better option than libpam-ldap.

> If you happen to ahve an idea on how to add Kerberos without involving
> actions by every user, please let me know and I will happily do.

I believe the common approach is to add a pam module to do it, basicly
adding the password to Kerberos when a user log in, without the user
noticing.  See the libpam-krb5-migrate-heimdal for an example.  I'm not
sure if there is an MIT Kerberos plugin available in Debian.  You might
have to build it yourself.

--
Happy hacking