Re: Use of Kerberos in Debian Edu

[Dominik George]
> One difference is we don't use Kerberos.

How sad.

> What is Kerberos used for in Debian Edu? I could not find any feature
> that requires it.

It is used to check passwords during login.  It is the only way to do
this that never send the password over the net, avoiding a small class
of security problems.

> I assume it is only there because GOsa² defaults to adding it?

Nope, we had to add Kerberos support to GOsa².

See <URL: https://www.nuug.no/aktiviteter/20100413-kerberos/ > for an
introduction to Kerberos.  I implemented Kerberos support in Debian Edu
based on that talk.  The talk is in English, so do not worry about the
Norwegian introduction.

--
Happy hacking