Re: FYI: 8.5 and 7.11 planning

Hi,

On Fri May 20 14:55:30 2016 GMT+0200, Giorgio Pioda wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 09:45:52AM +0200, Giorgio Pioda wrote:

> > > Thanks for the feedback, Giorgio.
> > >
> > > As far as I know the printer detection on the network changed from cups
> > > to mdns. So now the package libnss-mdns must be installed to assure the
> > > detection. I've set up a Debian Edu jessie based VirtualBox environment.
> > > After installing libnss-mdns on a workstation applications were aware of
> > > the printers configured on tjener. The printers were added automaticly
> > > to /etc/cups/printers.conf on the workstation.
> > >
> > > Wolfgang
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'll test it again in the afternoon.
> >
> > Regard
>
> So,
>
> about nscd I've seen that in our network the netgroup cache is disabled only
> on tjener. I fear a little reactivating it, at least during school time.

Same here. The nscd cache issue only occurred on my production networks. So re-enabling caching is a no-option here, too.

> For libnss unfortunately we cant contribute since after a closer test on
> our network we realized that our ISP doesn't allow multicast traffic at all
> and the automatic discovery of printers happens only within a single switch/router.

On several setups libnss-mdns on clients and servers (i.e. on all machines with cupsd installed) works well.

Anothe issue is that hostnames via libnss-mdns get propagated as <host>.local. When browsing CUPS servers with a webbrowser, this gets spoiled by wpad.dat. The .local FQDN should be included in the list of hosts to be connected to directly (and through squid).

IIIRC, I committed that wpad.dat change on the d-e-c master branch already. Not 100% sure, though.

> Regards
>
> Giorgio

Greets,
Mike