Re: FYI: 8.5 and 7.11 planning

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 09:45:52AM +0200, Giorgio Pioda wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 09:15:21PM +0200, Wolfgang Schweer wrote:
> > On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 05:34:44PM +0200, Giorgio Pioda wrote:
> > > Well, what I see is that on old wheezy clients after a BrowsePoll
> > > i get the printers queues exactly like on the server. On Jessie
> > > clients after cups-browser work (and automatic BrowsePoll) I get the
> > > queues that looks differently. Both BrowsePoll are getting
> > > the queues from my jessie-tjener in productions since july 2015.
> > >
> > > I suspect that older cups-client gets ppd from tjener and that
> > > the newer Jessie cups-clients get the queues from the tjener BUT
> > > the ppd directly from the printer, just because of the new
> > > default ppd distribution policy of cups server. IIRC I read
> > > some time ago, somewhere, about this policy change in cups/ppd
> > > distribution. Maybe I'm totally wrong; but the different looking queues
> > > are there.
> >
> > Thanks for the feedback, Giorgio.
> >
> > As far as I know the printer detection on the network changed from cups
> > to mdns. So now the package libnss-mdns must be installed to assure the
> > detection. I've set up a Debian Edu jessie based VirtualBox environment.
> > After installing libnss-mdns on a workstation applications were aware of
> > the printers configured on tjener. The printers were added automaticly
> > to /etc/cups/printers.conf on the workstation.
> >
> > Wolfgang
> Hi,
>
> I'll test it again in the afternoon.
>
> Regard

So,

about nscd I've seen that in our network the netgroup cache is disabled only
on tjener. I fear a little reactivating it, at least during school time.

For libnss unfortunately we cant contribute since after a closer test on
our network we realized that our ISP doesn't allow multicast traffic at all
and the automatic discovery of printers happens only within a single switch/router.

Regards

Giorgio
--
Giorgio Pioda - Sysadmin SPSE-Tenero