Re: nscd crashes on netgroup lookups

Hi Carlos, hi Arthur,

On  Do 15 Okt 2015 06:29:28 CEST, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 4:28 PM, Arthur de Jong <adejong@debian.org> wrote:
On Wed, 2015-10-14 at 07:56 +0000, Mike Gabriel wrote:
The Debian Edu team heavily relies on NIS netgroups coming from
LDAP. So any help with this in Debian jessie is highly appreciated!!!

The last time I looked at nscd code I was not very happy ;) Also, nscd
has a long history of instability and returning incorrect results.

The upstream glibc community has been working hard to rectify these
issues, and Red Hat in particular spent a lot of time making the
netgroup caching as bullet-proof as possible. If you have real bugs,
please file them upstream and come talk to the community.

Btw, if anyone thinks this is something that libnss-ldapd does wrong,
please let me know. Not all NSS interfaces are consistent in terms of
memory management, return codes, etc. so there could be something
wrong.

They should be consistent. Again, if you find something wrong, please
file a bug. The upstream glibc community is radically different now
and certainly more accepting of discussions on these issues.

Cheers,
Carlos.

How can I help getting this fixed? I can easily reproduce crashes / hangings in a Debian Edu based setup.

If any of you could provide me with an update glibc / nscd containing the relevant patches, I can easily give feedback.

The errors take a while before they occur, so I can only give delayed feedback when a new build for testing is available.

Would it make sense to test glibc from experimental (i.e., rebuild on a jessie system and install it there)? Or can one of the Debian pkg maintainers go through the upstream commits relevant and provide me with a patched glibc based on the version in Debian jessie?

I'd prefer of the glibc maintainer in Debian could play proxy between Debian BTS and upstream BTS.

Greets+Thanks for input and help on this,
Mike
--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby