Re: educlient development

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 06:46:00AM +0000, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> Hi Giorgio,
>
> yesterday, I tested your educlient package the first time. I have a
> customer that runs Linux Mint 17.1 workstations that need to be
> attached to a Debian Edu main server.
>
> The educlient package requires some changes and I would like to
> maintain them in your upstream Git on git.debian.org.
>
> The question is, how to maintain these changes.
>
> Option (A):
>
>   o create branches for every distro, educlient is provided for
>     - ubuntu/trusty
>     - mint/rebecca
>     - debian/jessie
>   o do releases in parallel on all these (still maintained) branches
>
> Option (B):
>
>   o implement distro and version awareness in the post installation script:
>
>     - check on what kind of system educlient gets installed
>     - use slightly different configs for each distro version
>     - e.g. /etc/idmapd.conf has changed between Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04
>       (Pipefs-Directory = /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs -> /run/rpc_pipefs)
>
> Personally, I'd vote for the more complicate Option (B). It would
> allow us to maintain one code tree (and not several similar trees on
> several branches).
>
> I also am thinking of making the package appropriate for upload to
> Debian unstable.
>
> What do you think?
> Mike

Hi Mike,

I had never tought that my quick & dirty package could awake some
thirdy part interest :)

Anyway, I would also say B.

Since a long time I havent updated it
because most Laptops were directely running Skole/testing, and also because
the we got a way (unofficial) to run whiteboard drivers (Hitachi's) and
software directly in Jessie in place of official Ubuntu support.

But since most users would like to use Mint (especially LMDE) I may
also do some more testing.

Feel free to take over the control of the project, if you wish it;
at the moment my workdesk is pretty crowded.

Regards

Giorgio

--
Giorgio Pioda - Sysadmin SPSE-Tenero