translations of applications

Hi all

I recently noticed that progress on translations in applications like gcompris or childsplay is miserably slow. (my experience is limited to the dutch translations, but I dare to generalise in this case ;-)

As translating isn't something that should require programming skills, I wonder if there's some missing infrastructure to help "ordinary" parents to help translating these applications?

I wonder if there's a way to make this easier in general (not just for one or a few applications), is anyone aware of efforts to do this?

Cheers

Simon