Re: Cannot enter home directory. Using /.

On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 01:39:31AM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Sonntag, 5. Juli 2015, Wolfgang Schweer wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 04, 2015 at 09:01:00AM +0000, Tom Duguid wrote:
> > > I have a SckoleLinux server installed with the main server and
> > > workstation options selected for install.
> > > I have 10 workstations with SkoleLinux installed.
> > > I made a mistake when installing some of the workstations using
> > > sitesummary2ldap so I removed them using GOSA2.
> > > I used 'sitesummary2ldap -a -i ether-xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx -t workstations'
> > > to put the workstations back on the server.
> > > The workstations that I had NOT added and removed previous to this
> > > worked.
> > > The workstations that I had added by mistake and removed previous to
> > > this came up with the following error whenever any user attempts to log
> > > in: 'Cannot enter home directory. Using /.'
> > >
> > > I can recreate this on a Virtual Machine setup by adding a workstation
> > > client to the VM server (it works at this point) and then removing it
> > > through GOSA2 and adding it again through sitesummary2ldap. When I try
> > > to log into the VM workstation I get the 'Cannot enter home directory.
> > > Using /.' error again.
> >
> > Confirmed for a combined server (jessie) and clients in a VirtualBox
> > test environment.
> >
> > I was able log in after disabling the nscd netgroup cache using these
> > steps (on tjener):
> >
> > service nscd stop
> > rm /var/cache/nscd/netgroup
> > sed -i '/netgroup/ s/yes/no/' /etc/nscd.conf
> > service nscd start
> > service nslcd restart
> > service nfs-kernel-server restart
> >
> > Please consider to test the workaround.
>
> can you please put this into a nice bug report? we'll need this to get
> the fix into jessie... thanks already! ;-)

Will do. But first I wanted to wait for feedback about the workaround.

Actually, it seems to be that nscd netgroup caching is buggy, see
#737079. After reading the nscd bug report discussion (message #20:
'netgroup caching doesn't exist in any stable Debian releases'), I
compared the wheezy and jessie nscd.conf files. As opposed to wheezy,
netgroup caching is enabled by default in jessie.

I guess filing a bug against nscd will be the right thing.

Wolfgang