Re: Home directories blank in diskless workstations

Hi.

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 10:29:51PM +0530, uday bhatye wrote:

> I'm using wheezy. A mix of thin clients & diskless workstations on
> 10.0.0.0/8 network.
>
> Used sitesummary2ldapdhcp, then added machines on main network to
> workstation-hosts netgroup.

Adding diskless workstations isn't needed -- unless you want to use an
alternative to LDM (for LTSP clients). See the documentation for
details.

> Problem is when clients boot as thin clients, we get the home
> directories and can see other users' directories above them, also new
> files created are saved. Same machine, if booted as diskless
> workstation shows nothing apart from a blank Desktop directory in the
> home directory.

If LDM is used (which is the LTSP default), only the home directory of
the logged in user is mounted (using sshfs), nothing else. So this is
the expected behaviour. See the documentation for details how to use
another DM like KDM, GDM or Lightdm along with NFS and automount.

> Any new files created are lost after reboot.

This is strange. Do you really mean files in the user's home directory?

> Also, kerberos ticket is not renewing on clients.

This is expected for diskless workstations as the login via LDM doesn't
allow it. If needed, it can be renewed manually -- see the
documentation.

> Googled and tried a lot with no luck.

I guess you'd be better off reading the Debian Edu documentation
available locally via https://www in the Debian Edu network -- or try
this all-in-one page:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Wheezy/AllInOne

and use your browser's search function.