Re: Remove build-cruft from debian-edu src:package

Hi Mike,

On Wed, Jul 09, 2014 at 11:14:54PM +0000, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> I have just added MATE support to the debian-edu src:package.
>
> While looking at that package a bit close, I realized that the code
> contains some build cruft files:
>
>   debian-edu-task.desc
>   debian/control (generated from debian/control.stub)
>   (maybe more?)

I do not think there are more.

> To my view those should be removed from debian-edu.git. The way to
> re-generate them is nicely described in debian/README.source, so
> that should be sufficient.
>
> Can you give feedback, if removing those files would break anything?

I agree that autogenerated files usually should not end up in a VCS.  We
had the discussion in the (long) past and while other Blends did not
kept these files meanwhile I was convinced that it is a good idea to
keep these files.

The rationale is that the build process does not depend exclusively from
the content inside the VCS but also from the content of the Debian
mirror.  In other words:  It depends from the day when you are generating
debian-edu-task.desc and debian/control.  It can be different if you
recreate it tomorrow.  So it is always nice to do some

    git diff

after the generation of the files to see what really happended.

Hope this helps

       Andreas.

PS: The Blends sentinel is now generating the web pages based on the
     status of the Git repository.

PPS: Anybody willing to work on the real content of the tasks (== fixing
     #726492)

--
http://fam-tille.de