Re: Debian-EzGo and Debian-Edu (Was: Blends-commit post from fweng-guest@users.alioth.debian.org requires approval)

Hi Andreas,

Hi Franklin,
> Since the NTPC project last year [1] we got some feedback and would like to
> build up a total solutions for computer classrooms in schools in Taiwan.
>  Eric Sun, one of our partner, suggested me to study skolelinux
> (debian-edu).  So I took several weeks and did some experiments with our
> partners.  The performance was good, and we started to think about how to
> customizing it to fit our needs.
>
> We have a conference in April, so we hope to make a demo version before the
> end of March so that we can show this to everyone in that conference.
>  After contacting with some debian edu developers like Mike Gabriel, Petter
> Reinholdsten, and Jonas Smedegaard, we decided to follow the example of
> itzks-system [2], that is, install debian-edu first then install some
> debian packages for customizing.  I then think of that debian-ezgo, a
> debian blend by Andrew.  Our target is very much like what debian-ezgo
> should do, so I asked Andrew if I can start debian-ezgo or not.  He agreed.
>
> So I studied itzks-system and read some documents like Debian Policy to
> study how to make debian packages.  My plan is to generate several debian
> packages with one source:
> ezgo-common
> ezgo-menu
> ezgo-artwork
> ezgo-phet
>
> and maybe more.  So I collect the files I need in the workaround folder and
> prepare to generate debian packages, like what itzks-system did.
>
> I'm now using my own git repository to restore the working files.  If I can
> handle all these, I think I'll be able to integrate them into debian ezgo
> blends so that we can easily customizing any debian system into ezgo.
>
> Any help and guide will be very appreciated.

Did you contacted Debian Edu people *on their list*?  I'm reading also
the Debian Edu - may be I simply overlooked this.

Now mainly on IRC channel.  Thanks to Mike and Petter, they helped me a lot on IRC.

My (may be a bit to
short) advise would be to create packages of those things you need (and
what was perhaps inside the large commit as real Debian packages.  I
really hope that meanwhile in the Debian Edu Alioth project might be
some room for Git packaging repositories to host the packaging stuff
properly (could somebody from Debian Edu please confirm).

Once the packaging work is done you might adapt the ezgo-* metapackages
to include these.

I'm not fully sure if my advise fits your plan.  If not please be more
specific what you are missing in Debian Edu to make some EzGo out of it
and please excuse that some poor mind as me who is only trained with
ASCII characters (+ some Umlauts) has no idea about the specifics of
Asian fonts and character systems.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

They are what I'm planning to do too.  Right now I'm still reading documents and look at itzks-system code to learn how to create debian packages, and maybe the most important part, how to install them without breaking a pure debian system, which I almost have no any idea.

I also need to learn the "Debian way" for being a debian developer.  I read some documents but still don't have enough ideas about the "Debian way".

BTW, I'm also looking at debian-lan, though that part I was still stuck with installing failure.

Regards,
Franklin