Re: Administration framework of skolelinux

Hello Franklin

Congratulations on the success of your project!
I am not a developer, nor an expert, but I can answer most of your questions.

On 3 February 2014 18:19, Franklin Weng <franklin@goodhorse.idv.tw> wrote:
> 1.  At page http://www.skolelinux.org/product you mentioned "Thin Client
> Solution".  Is it how you deploy Skolelinux in schools?  I mean, did all
> schools use thin client solution, or mostly use standalone system?  If for
> the latter, how did you deploy the Skolelinux to all the machines at a
> school?

It depends on the school. Of course, with thin (or fat) clients, there
is no installation necessary, apart from the ltsp servers. Schools who
use full workstations can install them via pxe boot from the main
server. Ltsp servers can also be installed that way. The standalone
profile is for machines that will move out of the skolelinux network,
and is like a normal debian installation.

> 2.  At page
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Wheezy/HowTo/Administration
> you mentioned that GOsa2 is used to create and manage many user accounts
> with LDAP.  I'm not familiar with LDAP and hope to know how you use that to
> manage user accounts.  Is it related to how you deploy the system?  I mean,
> did you just use a centralized server to control everything, and all other
> machines just use thin client?  If not, how did you use LDAP to control all
> user accounts on all machines?

There are no user accounts on the machines, not even the full
workstations. All accounts exist in LDAP on the main server. (except
the standalone profile). No-one can log in anywhere if something
happens to the main server (which it doesn't in my 10 year experience,
fingers crossed)

> 3. So can I say that you use GOsa2 to remotely administrate the user
> accounts.  How about other maintenance tasks?  SSH + etckeeper?  Any other
> tricks for remote maintenance?

There is backup of the main server. Other maintenance isn't catered
for. Personally I use parallel-ssh to keep workstations updated. I
also have clonezilla images of key machines.

Perhaps someone else will fill in some more technical details for you,
or maybe you have more questions now?

cheers
Nigel