Q: Small system for Mini ITX as stand-allone surfstation

Dear friends of Debian Edu/Skolelinux,

currently, I try to recycle some (approx. 10 years)
old thin clients (Epia Mini-itx) as stand allone surf stations.

Trying to boot any recent kernel makes the system hang; my
research gave hints that the current kernel misses some firmware
to support this chipset, or needs some CPU standard that the
lacks the VIA processors.

Hence, I went for the stable release of damn small linux which
boots after all, and also provides some browsers. However this
software stems from 2008, and even simple web sites are displayed
distortedly.

Before giving DSL's most recent release candidate (dated 9-2012!)
a try: is there any experience here on the list to have those
thin client booting in a more debian way?

Those surf stations are to be situated in a seperate building,
not connected to the Skolelinux network at all.

Kind regards
Ralf

--
PGP/GnuPG: pub 1024D/E6DE0971