Re: Please help golearn (from the goplay package) become more useful for Debian Edu

[Petter Reinholdtsen 2013-05-20]
> Part of the reason was the slow moderation done by Enrico.  That is
> solved, I volunteered to help, and got access to moderate the tags too
> now.  All requested debtag updates are now processed, and the result
> is in wheezy.
>
> Please test golearn in wheezy to see the result. :)

A lot of new packages are now tagged with use::learning, role::program
and a field::* value.  And I still hope they will show up in Wheezy on
the first point release.  But according to Ansgar Burchardt on
#debian-ftp, debtags are never updated in the stable and oldstable
releases.  If that is true, the updated tagging will never make it to
Wheezy, and golearn will never become really useful in Wheezy.  If that
is true, it is really sad.

This is the current status in Squeeze:

root@minerva:~# debtags search 'use::learning'|wc -l
151
root@minerva:~# debtags search 'use::learning && role::program'|wc -l
84
root@minerva:~# debtags search 'use::learning && role::program && field::*'|wc -l
30
root@minerva:~#

This is the current status in Wheezy:

pere@localhost:~$ debtags search 'use::learning'|wc -l
150
pere@localhost:~$ debtags search 'use::learning && role::program'|wc -l
104
pere@localhost:~$ debtags search 'use::learning && role::program && field::*'|wc -l
42
pere@localhost:~$

And this is the status in Sid:

root@minerva:/# debtags search 'use::learning'|wc -l
215
root@minerva:/# debtags search 'use::learning && role::program'|wc -l
167
root@minerva:/# debtags search 'use::learning && role::program && field::*'|wc -l
114
root@minerva:/#

This mean 30 packages show up in golearn in Squeeze, 42 in Wheezy and
114 in Sid/Jessie.

As golearn do not currently reflect the realities of the number of great
educational packages in Wheezy, I believe it is better to not install it
by default in Wheezy and try again in Jessie, unless debtags are updated
on the first point release.  Any objections?

--
Happy hacking