Wheezy clients work fine with a Squeeze server

The last few days I have tested to install Debian Edu Wheezy clients
at home, where I have a Debian Edu Squeeze main-server as my home
server.  And I am happy to report that it work just fine.

Had to fix a bug in the roaming workstation setup (libpam-mklocaluser
did not work with python in Wheezy - bug #706753), but besides that,
it mostly just worked.  I had to extend /opt on Thin client servers
too to avoid filling the file system, but the fix is uploaded now.  I
have tested a Roaming workstation, a Workstation and a Thin client
server, and all the three profiles just work.

I also got a friend to test the RDP server provided in the Thin client
server profile using a Windows 7 laptop, and the KDE desktop worked
just fine.  Celestia failed to work because there were no hardware
accelerated 3D support (and failed to report this to the user, it just
silently died), but non-3D programs seem to work just fine.

So in short, those with existing Debian Edu Squeeze installations can
safely test Wheezy clients.  But I would recommend against using
"normal" users, because I am not convinced KDE and other programs will
handle downgrading their configuration like the one that would have to
take place when a user first log into squeeze, then wheezy and finally
squeeze again.

--
Happy hacking