Re: What is broken with the main-server in Wheezy?

On 24/02/13 11:41, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Holger Levsen]
>> what are those warnings?
>
> No idea.  Not visible in the screen shot, and I have not tested the
> installation myself.  If someone did a main-server+workstation
> installation and asked a browser to visit the nagios status, we would
> know (extend jenkins?). Perhaps it is cups related?

No its not, but let's begin at the start.

So I did a fresh test installation of a wheezy tjener in virtualbox.
The installation went through fine (I installed main server only).

When the machine booted after installation I was surprised to find
network-manager installed and running. Instead of having 10.0.2.2
configured statically the machine had requested an IP via dhcp and used
that.

Because of this ldap wasn't accessible, so DNS was broken, so was
kerberos, ...

As soon as I stopped network-manager and set eth0 to 10.0.2.2 things
started working, but I had to manually reset resolv.conf to get
everything up and running.

So my question is: is network-manager supposed to be installed on the
main server instead of the "classical" configuration?

Going on:
The Cups webinterface is accessible and appears to be working as it
should, though I haven't done any testing.

I ran "sitesummary-client" and "sitesummary" to get a populated nagios
configuration.

Nagios looks pretty good, only 2 problems:
- the host ping check and the service ping check for tjener aren't working
For some reason, check_ping defaults to /bin/ping6 instead of /bin/ping
when called the way it currently is, this fails and the plugin can't
deal with the output. When the parameter -4 (for IPv4 only) is added to
check_ping it works as it should.

- check kernel status
/usr/bin/perl /usr/lib/sitesummary/nagios-plugins/check_kernel_status
failed to evaluate /proc/version, then I noticed there was an newer
version waiting to be installed.
The latest version first prints out several warnings about uninitialized
values but then returns the desired output.

Regards,
--
 .''`.   Philipp Hübner <philipp.huebner@debalance.de>
: :'  :  pgp fp: 6719 25C5 B8CD E74A 5225  3DF9 E5CA 8C49 25E4 205F

         We are the Power inside, we bring you Fantasy.
         We are the Kingdom of Light and Dreams,
         Gnosis and Life: Avantasia!