Re: Upgrading Squeeze to Debian-Education?

Hi

Much appreciated for your reply

On 14/10/12 07:49, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Bengt Thuree]
>> I could not figure out a way to install debian-education using the CD
>> though, so I installed a normal vanilla Squeeze environment, and then ...
>>
>> apt-get install education-tasks
>> tasksel
>>     Debian Edu main server packages
>>     Debian Edu networked thin client server packages
>>
>> ( next time I will try to apt-get install education-main-server
>> education-thin-client-server).
>>
>> Would this work?
> Most likely not.  There are several steps needed to install a working
> main server, and they are hard to get right for non-experts.  Just
> installing the packages is not enough.  You need to preseed, partition,
> install packages, run cfengine setup, etc.  You can figure out all the
> steps if you study the installation setup used by the CD. :)

Hmm.. This will make it a tad difficult...
Am not really in a position to get more hardware. I was only planning to
run a small Debian Education system for the family, and share the
hardware (better wife points), with some other systems.
XEN is the virtualization system I am using, and unfortunately, so far I
have been unable to get it to install from the CD. It would be easier if
the CD was prepared for XEN (as the normal Squeeze CD is, it has special
vmlinuz and initrd.gz for xen and netboot). At least that could be
something to think of for the future.

I really wish I can get this to work, but might have to have a second
look at Edubuntu :(, but since everything else is Debian, I am not to
keen on that.

Back to check with XEN if I have missed anything regarding to install
via Image...

/Bengt