Re: A problem with 10.0.0.0/8 as the backbone network and consumer routers?

Hi,

On Dienstag, 24. Januar 2012, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> I've discovered a problem with our new backbone network setup.  Trying
> to configure a Linksys Wireless-G broadband router to use 10.0.0.8/8
> is impossible.  Its default firmware can not handle less than /24.  It
> provide /24, /25, /27, etc.  but not /8.  I suspect this is the case
> with other consumer broadband routers too.
>
> Should we care?  This make it harder to test the full Skolelinux setup
> with common hardware. :(

eek. Yes, we must care. These home routers are used in many schools  (on a
global scale). What that means, is the next question.

(I've asked around and heard several reports of home routers either only
supporting /24 or only some netmasks or sometimes even only supporting
192.168.x.y...)

So, I think we should:

- switch to 192.168.x.y and /24 even if that means this default only supports
253 machines on the network. Thats quite plenty for many schools.

- document how to switch the subnet and make this easy by providing a working
subnet-change tool

I'm just not sure whether to do this now or for wheezy. Opinions?

cheers,
	Holger