Second Debian Edu Squeeze based Beta Release, 6.0.3 edu beta2
- To: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Subject: Second Debian Edu Squeeze based Beta Release, 6.0.3 edu beta2
- From: Petter Reinholdtsen <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 18:33:10 +0100
- Message-id: <[🔎] email@example.com>
- Reply-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are happy to announce "Debian Edu Squeeze 6.0.3 beta2"!
Debian Edu aka Skolelinux is a Linux distribution based on Debian
providing an out-of-the box environment of a completely configured
school-network. It contain setup for a school server, PXE booting for
diskless machines, setup for installing stationary workstations and
setup for workstations that can be taken away from the school network.
Those who already tested beta1 will need to install their machines again
to get all the fixes and improvement now provided with beta2.
Complete download and installation instructions are available at
Read the "Getting Started" chapter of the manual to learn how to login
for the first time.
Please file bugs on any issues you find, and (probably somewhat
additionally) also mention those bugs and issues on our status page at
Testing and giving feedback to email@example.com or
#debian-edu on irc.debian.org is a very good way to start contributing!
Act now :-D
If you can do more, give the manual linked to above some love. It needs
Changes compared to beta1 version
- A warning is now issued when installing on too small disks for the
- Default start page for iceweasel is now fetched from LDAP at
installation and boot time for networked profiles. Set to
http://www.skolelinux.org/ for Standalone installations.
- The home0 partition is now mounted nosuid, to increase security.
- More tests in the test suite, and correct some of the tests that
- Nagios no longer report problem with the kernel version after boot.
- Device access for the localadmin user is now handled by policykit
and not by adding the user to several groups during installation.
- The Kerberos KDC setup is now working again.
- Samba configuration is now working again.
- The LDAP server is now able to handle more clients after increasing
the servers file descriptor limit from 1024 to 32768.
- Manual down from 31 FIXMEs to 29 (currently)
- The Roaming Workstation profile is now working again.
- Quicker shutdown of LTSP clients.
- Updated default web page content.
- GOsa now update DNS and NFS exports imediately when a system is
updated in LDAP, making diskless workstations work right after they
are added to the required netgroup.
- Change KDE/Akonadi configuration to reduce the disk footprint of
every user from 144 to 24 MiB.
- Reinsert local NTP clock on the main-server to ensure clients and
server sync clocks also when disconnected from the Internet.
- Correct PXE installation setup and improve PXE menu.
- All Nagios checks now work properly after installation (no more
problem with kernel version check).
The following features are not working as they should
- Installation of GNOME or LXDE desktop from DVD (issue #641223) do
not work. Use CD and network installation to install the
- Backup do not seem to happen, and its web interface do not work
- The default gateway should be 10.0.0.1/8, not 10.0.2.1/8.
- The RDP server set up on thin-client-servers give distorted KDE
desktop at least when logging in using rdesktop (#608195).
- There is no easily visible way to users to change their
passwords. It can be found within GOsa.
- ldap2zone generate one email to the root user every hour, slowly
filling up /var/ until other services stop working.
- GOsa do not clean up properly when removing a system
(server/net-device) from LDAP.
To download this multiarch netinstall CD release you can use
- rsync -avzP ftp.skolelinux.org::skolelinux-cd/squeeze-beta/debian-edu-6.0.3+edub2-CD.iso
To download this multiarch DVD release you can use
- rsync -avzP ftp.skolelinux.org::skolelinux-cd/squeeze-beta/debian-edu-6.0.3+edub2-DVD.iso
There is no source DVD available yet. It will be prepared when we get
closer to the final release.
You can also download using one of the Skolelinux mirrors.
The MD5SUM of these images are:
- 7256f1781486f3778d059bffcd4997a7 debian-edu-6.0.3+edub2-CD.iso
- ea7dadf9921a200eae231e00b12131af debian-edu-6.0.3+edub2-DVD.iso
The SHA1SUM of these images are:
- bc19614b403e4ee10e3409663c7cdefd1888169d debian-edu-6.0.3+edub2-CD.iso
- ac0ce2880f72827b82f519f9252b588a2163be5a debian-edu-6.0.3+edub2-DVD.iso
These sums are also available GPG signed at
How to report bugs: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/HowTo/ReportBugs