Re: fresh install problems

Hi Volker,

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 07:32:08PM +0200, Volker Cordes wrote:

> I just installed debian edu based on squeeze and need some help with
> configuring the things I need. It would be great if you could point
> me to some documentation or answer my questions directly.
>
> So here is how far I got on my own (with help of the german mailing list):
> - Installed Tjener, workstation and terminal server
> - solved LDAP TLS issue (thanks to the german mailing list)
> - disabled netgroups in /etc/exports (granted access to *)
> - creating users works, also login on the workstation, TS and ThinClient
>
> But some problems remain:
> - I didn't add the workstation nor the terminal server to LDAP, I
> understand that the required gosa modules are missing. Is it
> necessary to add the machines?

If you use the * in /etc/exports and no netgroup features
fs-autoresize etc. it should work without.  But it's not much work to
add the machines to netgroups.  Have a look at:
<URL:http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2011/05/msg00052.html>.
and install the netgroups plugin as described.

> - I cannot connect my windows xp pro machine to the domain, I get
> "Domain not found". Is there a step by step guide for this? Since
> there is no lwat anymore the manual doesn't help or can I install
> lwat without problems?

I don't know anything about the windows stuff. :(

> - I would like to have diskless workstations. What do I have to do?

Take a look at
<URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Squeeze/HowTo/NetworkClients#Machine_type_selection_based_on_the_network>
(The manual is not yet up to date for squeeze, but most things
shouldn't have changed from Lenny):

     If one wants clients on the 192.168.x.x interface of a thin client
     server to boot as diskless workstations instead of thin clients, edit
     /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.cfg/default
     and add a '3' (no quotes) to the end of the line.

Please report all issues and problems you run into, so that we can
improve things. Good luck!

Regards,

	Andi