Re: Debian Edu for Schools

Hi Chikondi,

On 7 April 2011 03:21, Chikondi Lifa <chikondi@bmis.mw> wrote:

> Edu across my network.  However before I can go ahead, I would like to know
> if there are any IB, MYP, PYP schools using the software and how they are
> using it.  I wish to know what applications they are running to teach the
> students.

At my school we teach the PYP and IB diploma. We use debian-edu for
the whole school, from K-12.
We use a standard debian-edu infrastructure, so all students and
teachers have an account, and can log in from any computer. Some
teachers and the school office still use windows.
Many teachers and older students bring in their own computer.

PYP classes have traditional IT classes in the IT lab, which is a mix
of thin clients and normal workstations. Grades 2 and above do UoI
work most of the time, so using Internet, Open Office, Kolourpaint,
Tux Paint, and sometimes a little Gimp, Dia, Audacity, Stopmotion.
They also have thin clients in the library, corridor, and a few in
each classroom. Then there is a set of netbooks that teachers can use
in class.
Younger classes use Gcompris for non-UoI work, and a little Tux Paint
or Kolourpaint, or sometimes some template activities prepared in Open
Office Draw.
Middle school have IT as a separate subject, though often linked to
the other subjects MYP-style. For example they might develop
presentations or web pages for History, plot graphs and type reports
for Science, etc. We also do a lot of creative work using Gimp,
Inkscape, Audacity, Scribus, Kompozer, and some introductory
programming using Dr Python.
IB diploma students have access to computers in common areas, but no
formal IT course. Many bring their own computer. They can access their
account on the main server, network printers, etc.

I find I can cover everything with debian-edu. The weakest part for me
is Open Office Base, especially when we offered IGCSE ICT, where
Access is much better suited. Now we don't do ICT and I am able to do
my own database unit tailored to Base.

This is a hastily-type overview. Just send me a message if you want to
discuss any of this in detail.

cheers
nigel

Hiroshima International School