RE: diskless workstations / setup

Hi Oded,

On Fr 01 Apr 2011 11:54:23 CEST Oded Naveh wrote:

Hello Mike

[Mike Gabriel - Friday, April 01, 2011 11:25 AM]

On Mi 30 Mär 2011 04:52:22 CEST Oded Naveh wrote:

I don't quite understand your questions,
it may be that I'm completely un-informed,

This discussion has already been educating for me. Thanks.

Tjener is main server, LTSP server is separate...
This is the actual question I have: the boot prompt offered to a
machine booting via PXE results from dhcpd config. Dhcpd config is
stored in LDAP.

   o I have a tjener that offers PXE Debian Edu installer...
   o and I have an LTSP server that offers Diskless Workstations to
     the 10-network
   o How can are these different functionalities controlled? (with
   GOsa?) o Which PXE boot prompts (install Debian Edu via PXE, Thin
     Client, Diskless Workstation) are available in which subnets?

Again, I am asking for the current Skolelinux squeeze defaults (that
might already have been the defaults in Debian Edu lenny).

I can't say anything about the current setup, sorry. but I still think
the following is relevant to your questions. I'll try to be concise.

PXE boot can be easily controlled through GOSA by manipulating DHCP configuration.
The relevant settings [0] are:
	- next-server
	- root-path
	- filename
These may be defined per subnet or per host - by MAC address - as well as other
declarations [1]. The more specific takes precedence.

However, for this to work these options must point to locations pre-installed
with the relevant PXE configurations.

I believe the locations in default Skolinux installations haven't changed and can be seen in /var/lib/tftpboot/ on the LTSP server for more details, Where there are essentially at least two different locations. The exact location can be determined
by looking at the DHCP parameters.

To sum up:
	query your LDAP for 'root-path' it will tell you where to look farther.

Hope it helps. Odd.

[0] See man dhcp-options(5).

[1] From man dhcpd.conf(5) (where there's a lot more):
When a client is to be booted, its boot parameters are determined by consulting that client's host declaration (if any), and then consulting any class declarations matching the client, followed by the pool, sub- net and shared-network declarations for the IP address assigned to the client. Each of these declarations itself appears within a lexical scope, and all declarations at less specific lexical scopes are also consulted for client option declarations. Scopes are never considered twice, and if parameters are declared in more than one scope, the parameter declared in the most specific scope is the one that is used.

Thanks for your contribution (again!). Maybe still there is someone who know the current defaults...

Greets,
Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, dorfstr. 27, 24245 barmissen

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B

freeBusy: