Re: Need in Extremadura for LDAP admin interface

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 04:40:05PM +0100, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
El dom, 13-02-2011 a las 21:05 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard escribió:
On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 04:17:44PM +0100, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote: >Our servers still remain in lenny and our plans to move to squeeze >(or wheeze) include the development of a lwat replacement. We need >to develop it to fit our needs as we have to create accounts >massively every beginning of the course using as source an external >application where our ministry manages all the educational data for >every citizen. So, neither gosa, cipux or lwat can fulfill our >needs, and a custom development is the only solution I can see.

Could you elaborate some more on your needs for LDAP admin interface?

Aproximately, exactly the same as lwat provides, including its simplicity and easy of use. I'd only add the massive account creation, as I've described in #602863

Sounds like you could benefit from a scriptable interface to a select subset of the Skolelinux objects - and I suspect CipUX is an ideal tool for this, either as currently shipped with Squeeze (even if not suitable for all Skolelinux needs) or maybe with some tuning (I am sure Christian Kuelker will like to figure out if that is little or much work.

In the past I was doing something similar with lwat, but there were some bad implications. As an example lwat stores in its configuration the last used uid, instead of searching it dinamically in the ldap database, so sometimes there are database corruptions if other tools are used to create accounts.

Therefore: Please do describe in more detail what it is you need in Extremadura - to inspire those working on CipUX, GoSA or other LDAP tools, to help tune inot such kind of large-deployment needs (and perhaps even offer solutions concretely!).

As I've commented about, lwat fulfilled the needs quite well, except by its bugs. We don't need a bloated tool, just create and modify user accounts and machine groups from the admin point of view, and changing passwords for the end user interface. No more, no less.

Also, as the tool is installed in several hundred of schools, it should work out of the box, without the need of manual configuration.

Thanks. I now understand clearly (sorry if you've already pointed that out numerous times in the past without me paying properly attention) that your main need here is _simplicity_. I wrongly assumed that you would need some _complexity_ in your very large setup.

Thanks for spelling it out to me :-D

 - Jonas