Re: Gosa vs. CipUX

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 12:30:49AM +0100, Klaus Knopper wrote:
On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 11:57:29PM +0100, Andreas B. Mundt wrote:
On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 09:44:35PM +0100, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> Would you please explain to me, again, what "the CipUX people" have > to do, or failed to do, in order to get their working packages > integrated into Skolelinux? I think "the CipUX poeple" really > _want_ to have their stuff integrated into Skolelinux, but > apparently don't know how the magic is going to happen.
[...]
Don't know. Perhaps just try implementing it in SVN until someone cries out and stops you (or doesn't). That's kind of how I did it with GOsa, but you might realize, I'm also not very happy with the situation.

I believe that the CipUX developers do use a version management system that is publically available, like most free software projects, and probably don't want to duplicate or completely migrate to another platform... Well, we discussed that earlier, too. I don't think using SVN at a specific place is a requirement for integration.

The CipUX [developers] use SVN, and produce as end result a tarball.

The Debian [packagers] use Git and produce as end result Debian packages and the Debian distribution.

The VCS Andreas is referring to, however, is the one used for developing _Skolelinux_ which is neither "CipUX tarballs" nor "CipUX packages".

Someone needs to devote time and energy into integrating CipUX not only with Debian generically but with Skolelinux specifically.

Hope that helps,

 - Jonas

[developers]: Mainly Christian Kuelker, but Kurt Gramlich and a few others also have write access to the SVN and is actively working there.

[packagers] Mainly me, but Xavier is actively involved too.