Re: should we really avoid the 686 kernel image?

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 09:22:08PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Andreas B. Mundt]
> > Let's drop blender. It's about the size of a kernel and will hardly
> > be used in any school.
>
> Blender was added (actually changed form suggests to recommends) in
> version 0.848 with this changelog entry:
>
>   * Raise the priority of blender in the graphics task from suggests
>     to recommends, as it is mentioned on
>     <URL:http://www.slx.no/en/take-a-tour>.
>
> It was found to be part of the set of applications useful to promote
> Debian Edu/Skolelinux, and this caused me to make sure it is installed
> as part of the default installation for Squeeze.
>
> I would rather drop some of the duplicate functionally listed on
> remove packages found to be soo good that they can be used to promote
> Skolelinux.

I think not providing blender on the DVD does not mean we cannot
promote blender (as all other free software) being easily available
within Skolelinux.  However, it makes no sense to install prestige
stuff almost nobody will use at the expense of non-famous stuff that
improves the user experience for almost everyone.

> The popcon.skolelinux.org numbers for blender are 1.9% machines have
> it installed and 0.2% used it last week.  Not too surprising, as it
> has not been part of any stable release yet.

I still do not think blender is the application you to stumble upon
accidentally and think: 'Wow, great I'll use that nice app from now
on'. In my opinion, if anybody at all uses blender at school, he has
carefully prepared to do so and will be able to install it after
installation anyway if needed.

> I'm not against dropping blender, but I believe we should try to look
> at the complete picture before we do so.

Sure, but probably it's hard to find a package with the importance of
blender that uses a comparable amount of storage volume.

BTW, we discussed the issue before:
<URL:http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2010/07/msg00278.html>

Best regards,

     Andi