Re: Using OpenSuSe xdg_menu to debug menu content in Debian Edu?

El dom, 31-01-2010 a las 16:45 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen escribió:
> Recently I have had a look at the KDE menu in Debian Edu Squeeze, and
> reported a few bugs about applications in obviosly bad locations.

I've already have the fixes for squeeze, I've just waiting to commit
them until the lenny version of Debian Edu is released.

> In the process, I came across
> where Mandriva document their effort to migrate away from Debian menu
> files and to use XDG files instead.  Seem like a good idea for Debian
> to do too. :)
>
> Anyway, on that page a tool from SuSe is mentioned, and it seem to be
> the tool I need to be able to quickly get a complete list of all the
> menu entries in the current KDE menu, to see if some of them have bad
> locations.
>
> The tool is available from
> and using it like this gave me a useful list:
>
>   xdg_menu --root-menu /etc/xdg/menus/kde-applications.menu | less
>
> I am not quite sure if that is the correct root menu for KDE, but it
> definitely gave me a list that seem similar to the KDE menu.
>

> Jose, what tools did you use when you reorganized the menus for the
> education-menus package?

For gnome there is a gnome-menu-spec-test[1] which is great because it
show the menu items, and also those that are hidden by some of the xdg
or menu changes, so you can see all the posibilities.

For Kde, I used the real menu, but after fixing Gnome menus, only a few
changes were needed. In the future I guess less changes will be needed
as both desktops are more xdg compliant everyday. Today, the differences
between kde and gnome menus are due only to legacy menus from old
applications.

Regards
José L.

[1] gnome-menu-spec-test disappered in lenny from the gnome-menus
package (#477746) and has been reintroduced in squeeze under the name
gnome-menus-ls.py in the python-gmenu package.