Re: Partitioning and RAID on Debian Edu

On 21.10.2010 13:56, Giacomo Trovato wrote:

- I want to have RAID1: can I use the sata chipset RAID feature, or it's better to use Debian RAID? - How I must size the partitions? I have tested an installation (with one disk only, no RAID) using automatic partition and I have seen that Debain Edu doesn't use the whole disk.
depends on the sata raid chipset. many sata onboard raid chips are just fakeraids where the raid is implemented in driver software. with a tiny bit of inteligence to manage to boot from it. They are usualy inferior to linux software raid in most aspects. And I would strongly recomend using linux software raid instead.

If you have a REAL hardware raid on the machine I would use that.
lspci can tell you what chipset you have.

remember that raid does not replace backups :)

Ronny

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5558 (20101023) __________

http://www.eset.com