Re: More on the future LDAP admin gui in Debian Edu

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 01:07:27PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Andreas Mundt has been _very_ active on GoSA (and thanks for that!)
> but now starts as a teacher and do not expect himself to be able to
> continue contributing at same pace.

Regardless of my new job it's not (and probably has and will never be
the case) that we have too many developers.

That's the main reason why I always favor a standard setup, where the
work left for the project is the configuration of available software
packages and there's no need to code at all.

Following this philosophy, we would only install the squeeze packages
(as it's done already) and provide a prepared ldap tree. That's all.
Part of this tree is already there, and another part is here (experimental):
<URL:http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debian-edu/trunk/src/debian-edu-config/ldap-bootstrap/gosa-server.ldif>

The more we depart from the standard way provided by the packages, the
more work has to be done by us. Especially if the person who does the
work sees no real benefit of debian-edu specialities, this will always
be a problem.
We better invest time and resources in features that are not (yet)
available but provide real benefit. In addition, this is where
upstream will have open ears too.

Best regards,

     Andi