Subject: [Swami-devel] Fast track to Swami 2.0
Date: Montag, 4. Oktober 2010
From: Element Green <jgreen@users.sourceforge.net>
To: swami-devel@lists.sourceforge.net

Hello Swami development list!

Its been quite a bit of time since my last activity on the project.
I've been traveling in the western USA and taking a break from
computer related obligations.  During this time I went through a few
name changes, but finally settled on the name "Element".  So from
Joshua Green to Elimar Green to Element Green.  I'm fairly certain
this final one will stick for a while ;-)

This break has also allowed me to collect myself a bit and discover
what is important to me.  I was reminded very recently about the
unfinished state of Swami and it was with auspicious timing that
Christian Collins made a generous offer of an incentive towards the
Beta release of Swami 2.0.

In summary, I've been dusting off the cob webs and knocking out tasks
towards the goal of a release in the past week.  Its hard to believe
how long it has been since Swami 0.9.x was forked into what will be
Swami 2.0, without a release.  I think it has been primarily my
perfectionism at fault.  I was once again in the middle of a rather
substantial code overhaul in libInstPatch and was beginning to think
that I had bit off more than I could chew.  So I ditched the overhaul
after I came to the conclusion that, it is all pretty close to working
and complete.  While the programming API won't be perfect and will
likely change substantially in the next major version, the primary
goal should be to get things working and RELEASED!

So I invite any and all those who are interested in helping out, to
hop on the Swami 2.0 release train.

What is needed:
* Testing and identification of tasks to complete for 2.0 release.
* Building and testing on Mac OSX and Windows (I'd like to have
installers/packages available for these platforms upon release or soon
there after).
* Help creating an Ubuntu PPA perhaps to help expand testing audience.
* Some cmake help.  Considering converting to cmake prior to release.
* Help creating a good users manual.  Would be awesome if it could be
integrated with Swami.

Some things completed in the past week:
* Re-created the Swami web site at http://swami.sourceforge.net (web
site was down for a while!), now using MediaWiki.
* Brushed up on my Inkscape skills and created a new Swami 2.0 splash
image and logo (comments on them would be great)
* Fixed many bugs and implemented many new features (see the Wiki TODO
list page link below for details).
* Most important feature added which was sorely missing was
preferences save/load from XML.

I created a Wiki page to track my personal TODO list items, here:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/swami/index.php?title=Swami2Tasks

I will keep it updated.  If you see something that is not listed on
there that you feel should be fixed or implemented for 2.0, please add
it via the SourceForge tracker.  I don't yet have any experience using
the tracker, so it may need some admin before being completely usable.

Onward to the stable fully functional release of Swami 2.0 real soon!

Cheers.

Element (AKA Josh Green)