Re: shutdown-at-night

On 24 August 2010 23:36, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:

> The package will try to turn of the machine every hour on the hour
> from 16:00 in the afternoon, if I remember correctly, and not turn it
> off if the machine seem to have users.  It will try to tell the bios
> to turn on the machine around 07:00 in the morning, and the
> main-server will try to turn turn on machines from 06:30 in the
> morning using wake-on-lan packages.  I believe this behaviour should
> be well suited in most environments, and thus am curious why you
> believe it is not sufficient.

I didn't find any of these details before, so I'm adding them to the
wiki after this. I think the shutdown seems good (though it shut down
some machines I was testing on Sunday - perhaps it was after 16:00).
However I don't want wake-up at all. Some computers are not used some
days, or not until the afternoon, etc. Also what would happen in the
school holidays?

cheers
nigel