Re: More on the future LDAP admin gui in Debian Edu (Was: Is LWAT completely broken in Squeeze?)

Hi,

I answer here, because my name was dropped.

Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
If you mean if webmin stuff is relevant to reuse for CipUX, then no: Webmin related to an ancient abandoned branch of CipUX only - current CipUX 3.4.x.x uses its own framework called CAT, with two actual implementations availabl, CAT::Web and CATWeasel.

CipUX is mature, and is reported working well with Skolelinux in Germany.

What Petter writes above, and that I fully agree with, is *not* that CipUX is broken, but that *this* list have received no reports of succesful tests using CipUX with Skolelinux currently in development.

I agree on all above.

Klaus, Christian, Kurt and others supposedly subscribed to this list: now is the time to tell the (Skolelinux) world how wonderful CipUX is!

CipUX is working well in Rheinland-Pfalz for more then one year (or more?). The actual Debian packages are mostly build on that code base and I did not hear of major failures. Only some smaller bug fixes where made. However testers are welcome. This version should work well with Debian and Debian-Edu Lenny. I have to admit that there are some complains about the style of CAT-Web. If you would like to change that, please contribute. (It is themeable) However the Rheinland-Pfalz project developed a stylish CAT-Weasel GUI to meet exact the demands of the teachers from Rheinland-Pfalz.

CipUX was tested with Debian Squeeze but not with Debian-Edu squeeze. To support the newest features of Debian-Edu there has probably some work to be done.

I personally would like to see CipUX working with any major school server distribution. If this is done via default install or as a decision by the admin is not so important for me.

Since I have a full time Job in the HPC business and have to travel quite a lot between Italy, Germany and Japan I do not have the time to make the configuration work for Skolelinux by myself. I would think that this should be done under the lead of the Rheinland-Pfalz Project (@Klaus - you might consider assigning work to that task) _and_ others who would like see it work. In any case I will offer my help and knowledge.

Future: The next major release of CipUX will be released to CPAN directly. Perl coders who would like to take part in the design of this now are highly welcome.

(...or file bugreports, so that I can improve the packaging!)

Cheers
C.