Re: More on the future LDAP admin gui in Debian Edu (Was: Is LWAT completely broken in Squeeze?)

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 08:46:21PM +0100, Berni Elbourn wrote:
On 30/07/10 20:19, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 07:55:44PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
For Cipux, no developer so far seem willing to spend the time to get it working out of the box with Debian Edu. Working packages might be in squeeze, but it is unknown as no-one has tried to get them working with Debian Edu/Squeeze as far as I know. I do not know what schemas are used, nor if it is compatible with the current LDAP structure.

True, all of it.

If Cipux is to become an alternative for Squeeze, someone need to spend time to get it working out of the box with Debian Edu/Squeeze, and allow us to test it to see how it compare to Gosa.

Great opportunity for the Rheinland-Pfalz project to invest some of the remaining resources, I guess.

...or alternatively for some of the others actively using CipUX together with Skolelinux to come out of the bushes and share with this list their judgement of current status.

Is there something in webmins ldap add-ons that could be re-used?

If you mean if webmin stuff is relevant to reuse for CipUX, then no: Webmin related to an ancient abandoned branch of CipUX only - current CipUX 3.4.x.x uses its own framework called CAT, with two actual implementations availabl, CAT::Web and CATWeasel.

CipUX is mature, and is reported working well with Skolelinux in Germany.

What Petter writes above, and that I fully agree with, is *not* that CipUX is broken, but that *this* list have received no reports of succesful tests using CipUX with Skolelinux currently in development.

Klaus, Christian, Kurt and others supposedly subscribed to this list: now is the time to tell the (Skolelinux) world how wonderful CipUX is!

(...or file bugreports, so that I can improve the packaging!)

:-)

 - Jonas