Re: terra server 4000

[Martin Schulte]
> Hello,
> we want to buy a TERRA Server 4000 (B-T-O) to run with skolelinux
>
> - Quad Core Intel Xeon mit 2.66 1333 MHz FSB
> - Mainboard: Intel S3210SHLX P4 LGA775, 4 GB RAM
> - Network: Intel i82566DM, 10/100/1000 Mbps (WOL/PXE/AMT2) + Intel
> i82541DM , 10/100/1000 Mbps
>
> the manufacture saith that RedHat/Suse Linux works.
> Does someone know, if there is a problem with Debian? Or is there
> someone, who use a similar server and can tell me about existing
> problems?

I do not know that hardware, but looking at the list of parts, I would
be most worried about the network card.  Does it need extra firmware
to work?  Is that firmware available in Debian?  If so, is it
available in Lenny, Squeeze or only Unstable.  I do not know, but just
wanted to mention the issue.

Searching for "i82566DM debian" gave me 3 hits on Google, which I
believe is not a good sign.  "i82566DM linux kernel" gave 4 hits,
which also did not give me a good feeling.

Sorry for not being able to help more.

Happy hacking,