Re: the three-headed dog at the doorstep...

Hi,

On Mittwoch, 5. Mai 2010, Andreas B. Mundt wrote:
> Can we get rid of the hardwired, predefined machine management?
> Currently, when ldap is bootstrapped, there is already a long list of
> staticXX, dhcpXXX and some more entries. The IP ranges are predefined
> and machines have to be added to the correct network range. This
> complicates the administration of the ldap-tree, and to do that in a
> user-friendly way special tools are necessary (currently lwat).
>
> Is it possible to get rid of (part of) that?
[...]
> So what do you think about that? I do not have the experience to
> oversee all implications, but as far as I can tell we can gain a
> "simpler" system, easier to set up, easier to maintain our
> configuration packages, and more flexible and straight forward without
> loss of security features.

It also seems logical and simpler to me. The current "pre-configuration" of
machines and printers is incomplete anyway (it has to be, we cannot know the
mac addresses out there), so we need tools for adding those systems anyway.

If we need tools, these tools can add complete entries too. So.

Plus it will make changing the network and IP addresses easier too.

cheers,
	Holger