Re: Back from International Developer Meeting in Germany

Hi Oded (and everyone else),

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 09:37:12AM +0200, Oded Naveh wrote:
On Friday 26 February 2010 17:21:15 Hector Oron wrote:

After we'll work on packaging and adding VoIP services with asterisk.

Are you adding VoIP services to Debian Edu?

The VOIP server Asterisk is packaged so as to allow alternative config packaging than the default. We (Andrew, Hector, Peter from germany and me - and maybe also Theppitak from Thailand) intend to package officially for Debian one or more sets of alternative Asterisk configurations suitable for some school settings.

At first it will be proof-of-concept setups, not generally usable ones: We want it easier for system administrators curious about VOIP in schools (and similar non-corporate environments) to try it out, while still basing it on Debian and core Asterisk (as opposed to some hit'n'run live-CD with FreePBX or similar).

A future goal is to provide LDAP-supported setup(s), and to integrate with LWAT, CipUX and other LDAP tools in Debian.

In other words, do *not* expect VOIP integrated with Debian Edu in the near future (at least not from us).

I'd be very interested to learn more on the intended uses for such service at school.

 * Linking multiple LANs together as a single virtual SIP network
 * Per-location SIP accounts for SIP phones and ATAs
 * Per-user SIP accounts for SIP softphones
 * Per-user and per-location phone numbers for incoming calls

A concrete (future!) use case we have in mind is a language class in a non-english country arranging to call e.g a geography class from an english-speaking country. Either one call at a time with the rest of the class listening, or smaller groups, or individually (if bandwidth allows it).

We have ideas on how to handle linking a personal SIP account to a per-location phone, through the use of a temporary PIN as identifier and some black magic inside Asterisk.

We also have ideas on how to link together multiple Asterisk servers.

We do *not* expect to provide settings to generally link SIP with classic commercial phone systems, as that is complex to do in a way both intuitive to use and not able to abuse - potentially leading to huge phone bills.

Please do come up with more use cases for inspiration!

Kind regards,

 - Jonas