Re: server-questions

On Sunday 07 February 2010 14:19 Martin Schulte wrote:
> Jürgen Leibner schrieb:
> > On Sunday 07 February 2010 12:52 Martin Schulte wrote:
> > One point there is, that we use by default roaming profiles in
> > skolelinux. Another is how to disable it.
>
> We use roaming profiles for our PCs/workstations and no roaming
> profiles for the netbooks. On the netbooks, the pupils will have an
> root-account to make everything they want (it's there own netbook for
> this time, they lease it from an external firm).

Ok, no problem so far.

> But when they access
> our wlan, they should have an access to their home-directory's  on
> tjener (or an NAT).

They will have default access by design if they are using their username
and password while accessing the tjener's shares.
Therefore it would be helpfull but not nessesary to be in the
workgroup 'skolelinux'.
All over all are there a lot of pitfalls, because of the networking
settings of the clients, which have to be adjusted to fit to the
skolelinux ones. And if your pupils are root (Administrator) and can
fiddle around everywhere in the windows settings, I wish you a happy
lesson :)

> I think disabling roaming profiles isn't
> necessary, i will disable ldap-authentification on clients, because
> they have it's own local account.

You are talking about windows machines here, aren't you?

> But i think, the
> /skole/tjener/home0/-directory has to be on a NAT or something and it
> will be no problem, to have access from the netbooks. The problem is,
> how to tell tjener, while login on a workstation, the home-folder of
> user xy is on
> <IP_of_fileserver>/skole/tjener/home0/xy . And more difficult, when
> we will use two fileserver.

The location of home directory of every user is registered in ldap.
I don't know if lwat can handle that the homes directories are
distributed over some servers.

Greetings, Jürgen Leibner

--
GnuPG Key ID: 0x37FF4410
Finger-Print: CF03 BA85 654D 0EED E161 3DD5 07FF 8246 37FF 4410